सीएसआईआर-राष्ट्रीय भौतिक प्रयोगशाला
CSIR-National Physical Laboratory
Brief details of Recent Key-Comparisons Participated / Piloted
- Pilot laboratory for conducting the international inter-laboratory comparison (ILC) on volume (micropipettes) and Glass Scale among the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) National Metrology Institute (NMIs) under the SAARC-PTB project to strength the quality infrastructure in SAARC region. This inter-comparison is under process (2019-2022).
- Participated in the international key comparison (APMP.M.FF-K4.2.2021) on volume (micro-pipettes) organized among Asia Pacific Metrology Program (APMP) NMIs (2021).
- CSIR-National Physical laboratory (Length, Dimension & Nano Metrology section) participated in International key comparison in length parameter for 610 mm step gauge registered as EURAMET.L-K5.2016, Piloted by NPL UK with various participating NMIs. The measurements for this intercomparison were carriedout by NPL India in 2018, using Coordinate Measuring machine (CMM)LEGEX 9106 , at Length, Dimension and Nano Metrology Section.As per the report that came in June 2020, wehave successfully qualified the intercomparison and stood at par with global NMIs with Envalues 0.57. The intercomparison reports has been published in KCDB portal and Metrologia which can be accessed through the links:
- Length Dimension and Nano Metrology, NPL India, piloted international intercomparison APMP.L-S7 for step height standards with NIM Thailand, NMI Japan, BEV Austria and A*STAR Singapore. This intercomparison (APMP.L-S7) was conducted for a wide range (8 nm, 18 nm, 88 nm and 10 µm) of step heights, for new CMC claims. The final analysis was completed in June 2021 and the intercomparison report has been published on KCDB portal and metrology, which can be accessed through links:
- Temperature and Humidity Metrology has participated in different inter-comparisons as listed in the Table below:
Parameter & range
LIGT, 0 to 50 °C
S-TC, 0 to 1100 °C
Hg, TPW, Ga, Zn by SPRT
Al and Ag by SPRT
Pt/Pd TC, Co-C point (1324 °C)
LIGT, -40°C to 250 °C
Type-R TC upto 1600 oC
SPRT on ITS-90 fixed points, -189 oC (TP Ar) to 420 oC (FP Zn)
Relative Humidity (10 % to 95 %)
Force and Hardness Metrology Section
- The different inter-comparisons participated in the force and hardness parameters are listed in the Table below:
List of Inter-comparisons Participated:
Identifica-tion of inter-comparison
Date of Partici-pation
Date of Report
PTB, Germany; NPLI, India.
10-100 kN, 100-1000 kN
NIMT, Thailand; PTB, Germany; SCL, Hong Kong; KRISS, Korea; NPLI, India.
KRISS, Korea; NML-SIRIM, Malaysia; NIS Egypt; NPLI, India; A* Star, Singapore; SCL, Hong Kong; VMI, Vietnam; ITRI, Taipei; NIMT, Thailand; KIM-LIPI, Indonesia; KEBS, Kenya; NIM, China; NMIJ, Japan.
The result of the APMP M.F.-K2 force comparison of the primary standard force machine at 50kN and 100kN are depicted in Fig.1 and Fig.2 respectively, as representative figures, to a give a feeling for the reader about the accuracy and the international standing reputation of these standards. It also reveals the importance of such inter-comparison which in fact requires a continuous maintenance for achieving the global competence. The results of the other inter-comparison carried out in the other parameters mentioned above also look similar in terms of its closeness to the key reference value of the comparison through which the CMC are reaffirmed.
- KRISS (Korea), 2. NML-SIRIM (Malaysia), 3. NIS (Egypt), 4. NPLI (India), 5. A* Star (Singapore), 6. SCL (Hong Kong), 7. VMI (Vietnam), 8. ITRI (Taipei), 9. NIMT(Thailand), 10. KIM-LIPI (Indonesia), 11. KEBS (Kenya), 12. NIM (China), 13. NMIJ (Japan).
- APMP.M.P K4 key comparison in the pressure range of 1 Pa to 10 kPa and submitted the results to pilot laboratory KRISS Korea
- APMP.M.P K15 key comparison draft-A data to NMIJ, Japan in the vacuum range of 10-4 Pa to 1Pa
- International BIPM/CIPM Key Comparison on Total Ultrasonic Power Measurement, (key comparison CCAUV.U-K3.1) (Weblink: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0026-1394/53/1A/09002)
- International APMP Key Comparison on Total Ultrasonic Power Measurement (APMP TCAUV key Comparison APMP.AUV.U-K3) (Ongoing)
- CSIR-NPL participated in an Internal Key Comparison on vibration in frequency range of 0.1 Hz to 40 Hz with Center for Measurement Standards, ITRI, Taiwan as pilot laboratory in October, 2018. The Final report of International Key Comparison Exercise, APMP.AUV.V-K3.1 circulated amongst participants in June, 2020 has validated CSIR-NPL CMCs in range 0.1 Hz to 40 Hz published in March 2021(Final report yet to be published in BIPM website)
- Linkage of different Key comparisons, CCM.P-K13, APMP.M.P-K13, EURAMET.M.P-K13 and EURA