• Dr. Vijay Narain Ojha, Chief Scientist and Head of T&F and E&E Metrology Division of CSIR-NPL receive the ‘APMP Award for Developing NMI-2016’.
• Citation: “In Recognition of Your Outstanding Contribution to the Development of the Metrology in Your Economy”.
• He is the ‘First Indian and probably the second in the Asia Pacific Region’ to receive this award since its inception in November 2010.
• This award is intended to highlight the contributions from and recognize the outstanding achievements of an individual from APMP’s Developing Economies in advancing the status of metrology in their economy and/or within the region. The honour is not only to praise an individual’s achievement but also to encourage others within APMP’s DEN community in years to come.
Dr. Ojha’s contribution in brief:
• In the last three decades, Dr. Ojha has contributed significantly in the development and establishment of India’s Metrology programme at the CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, India (NPLI).
• He has set up the 1 V and 10 V Josephson Voltage Standards (JVS) and programmable JVS in collaboration with PTB, Germany and NIST, USA.
• As ‘Principal Investigator’ (PI), he and his team have set up for the first time nanometrology laboratory for few parameters in India with funding of Rs. 14 crores from DeitY, Ministry of Information and Technology.
• As mentor, PI and Head of Metrology Division, he also contributed towards new activities such as development of Watt balance, Boltzmann constant and up gradation of exiting standards etc. at NPLI to be at par to the international level, with the funding from CSIR under various programme.
• He has conducted many workshops, trainings and conclave etc. to train more than 5000 personnel from industries, laboratories and SAARC countries in the area of metrology.
• He has published more than 150 research papers in referred journal, international and national conferences etc. He has delivered more than 120 ‘Invited Talks’ in India and abroad.
• He has edited/compiled many conferences proceedings/monograms related to the field of metrology, ISO and quality.
• His group was the first to have ‘Calibration Measurement Capability’ (CMC) peered and approved under CIPM- MRA in India. He is reviewer of CMC’s at APMP.
• He has received many awards such as Young Scientist Award of CSIR, India and URSI, Belgium for metrology, etc. He has received ADAB (APMP) fellowship to work at CSIRO, Australia. Two years DAAD fellowships to work at PTB, Germany. He was Guest Researcher at NIST, USA.
• He is Fellow and members of various scientific societies, committees of BIS, NABL, ISO, National Science center etc.